It’s no secret that I LOVE a good bargain, last week I picked up Aubergines for 10p, yes you read that right. I’d been saving them and ruminating in my mind about what I should do with them and then got inspired by a chef friend. So here is my aubergine bake.
Ingredients (serves 4):
1.5 tins chopped tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
1 stock cube
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp sugar
Dried mixed herbs
- Slice aubergines lengthways into long slices. Drizzle with a little oil and then cook on a griddle pan or under the grill for a few minutes on each side.
- Whilst the aubergines cook, put the tins of chopped tomatoes into a pan with garlic, chopped onion, dried mixed herbs, stock cube (gluten free if required), tomato puree, sugar and plenty of black pepper.
- Bring to the boil and simmer the sauce for 15 minutes so it reduces and thickens.
- Spread a layer of aubergine in an ovenprood dish, top with the sauce and then repeat the layers – a bit like a lasagne.
- Finally top with mozzerella.
- Bake for 30 minutes at Gas Mark 5.
- Serve with pasta and a green salad. YUM.