My toddler has got to the age where she is well aware about the delights of cakes and biscuits. Being a dietitian I’m not keen on her eating lots of bought and sugary snacks, so most weeks we have a baking session. I’m also pregnant at the moment so keen to find myself healthy treats to snack on too.
This week toddler girl asked to make some cakes, so I popped over to Mamcook’s blog for some inspiration. She has these lovely looking Fruity Prune Muffins on her blog which I’ve adapted to make them gluten and wheat free, plus we used apricots (toddler’s choice).
The whole family was pretty pleased with them, in fact these are likely to be adapted and cooked quite regularly as they were easy for the toddler to get involved with too.
100g, 3.5 oz Gluten Free Self Raising flour or 50g rice flour, 30g cornmeal and 20g tapioca starch
40g, 1.5oz Porridge oats
1 tsp Gluten Free Baking powder
1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
140g, 5oz Natural yoghurt
1 tbsp Apple juice
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
3 tbsp of Vegetable oil
140g, 5oz Chopped Dried Apricots
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4.
- Mix the flours, oats, apricots, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together.
- Now mix the yoghurt, apple juice, vanilla extract, oil, egg together.
- Next mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones.
- Spoon into a muffin tin and bake for 12-14 minutes, they should be risen and golden.
Let me know what variations you try out.