Rattatouille. There is something about it that just tickles my taste buds and makes me feel all warm inside. We usually grow a glut of courgettes in our garden so this becomes one of our courgette loving dishes and because it freezes well I always make a large batch. I know there are hundreds of variations on a theme out there, so here is just my usual variation.
It’s a low fat recipe but packed full of veggies, so counts for 2-3 of your 5 a day 🙂
We serve our with either rice or pasta as a main meal, it also works well as a side dish to go alongside meat and fish.
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 aubergines
- 4 courgettes
- 2 peppers
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 large handfuls of fresh herbs or 2 tsp mixed dried herbs
- Chop all of the vegetables.
- Saute the onions in the oil then add the garlic.
- Add the aubergines, peppers and courgettes and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the the chopped tomatoes, sugar, tomato puree. Allow it to simmer for 10 minutes and let the sauce start to reduce.
- Add in the balsamic vinegar and herbs and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Season and serve.
- Freezes really well and even taste great as a topping on toast or rice cakes!