I love a bargain and I love using up leftovers. This recipes combines both! Using some puff pastry I found reduced to 16p and the veggies that were in need of being eaten quick. This was a bit of a gamble as I haven’t cooked a whole heap with beetroot but the sweetness of the beetroot really works and it gives these a beautiful colour.
Beetroot is packed with the phytonutrients: Betalain, a good antioxidant, this gives them their red colour. They also contain a good amount of folate, manganese and potassium plus provide fibre.
Although puff pastry isn’t something I would recommend people eat everyday, this recipe is packed with veggies and makes a good alternative for lunches.
- 1 roll of prebought puff pastry
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp pesto
- 2 grated beetroot
- 1 medium grated courgette
- 80g grated cheddar
- Let the puff pastry defrost enough to be unrolled.
- Spread on the tomato puree and pesto, mixing them together as you spread.
- Grated over the beetroot and courgette making sure the whole sheet of pastry is covered.
- Grate the cheese on top. Just a thin layer is fine.
- Roll up.
- Slice into 10-12 pieces and place on a lined baking tray.
- Bake at Gas Mark 7 for 20 minutes,