I love bean burgers. They are one of those foods that want me make to turn vegetarian. But they just aren’t one of those things that I make very often. Till now.
Tonight was one of those evenings where I hadn’t got round to planning dinner, so I turned to the fridge for inspiration…. the bowl of kidney beans was calling my name. We also had carrot and courgette’s eyeing me. Bingo.
I’ll be honest, I wasn’t expecting these to work well as I literally threw them together on a whim, but in my experience that’s often when my best recipes occur. In my opinion this is one of them.
A great recipe for Family Meals, for weaning, it’s vegetarian, gluten free, wheat free, dairy free….need I say more?! Oh, hold on… ITS TASTY!
1 tin kidney beans
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp Curry powder (I used a Sri-Lanka blend, use your favourite mix)
1 tbsp mixed fresh herbs or a pinch of dried
- I am a complete cheat. I used my food processor. To do this – place the beans, carrot, courgette, onions, garlic in the food processor and provess until finely chopped.
- If you don’t have a food processor then grate the carrot and courgette, finely chop the beans, onion and garlic.
- Shape the mix into large patties, pressing the mixture firmly together. I made 5 patties in total.
- Place on a greased baking tray, pop into the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up. (You could make ahead to this stage and cook later or freeze them at this stage).
- Cook in a large pan or on a griddle, turning part way through cooking.
- I served ours with salad and potato wedges.