It was midweek, I had a busy house full of Pilates clients in and out of the studio, I needed to unwind…. baking helps me do that. It’s creative, I get to fill my head with food ideas, play around with tastes, textures and make a mess! So here is my midweek Biscotti, great therapy to make and perfect to snack on in the run up to Christmas.
It’s packed with dried fruit and nuts, no added butter/marg and only a little sugar. So stacks up quite faourably in terms of snacking potential, as long as it’s portion controlled.
Gluten free, wheat free and dairy free.
150g sunflower seeds
150g dried cranberries
300g Bezgluten extra universal gluten free flour (or a mix of 150g rice flour, 100g cornmeal, 50g tapioca starch and 2 sp xanthum gum)
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Toast the nuts and seeds in a dry pan then chop them finely.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and spices together.
- Add the egg and vanilla, mix to a stiff dough.
- Add nuts, seeds and cranberries.
- Knead on a surface and roll with your hands into 4 logs.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then leave to cool for a few minutes, slice and rebake for 10 minutes.
Store in an airtight tin, will keep for up to a month.