My husband went a bit banana-tastic last week and bought half a banana tree, we do love our fruit but I’ve been left with a few over-ripe beauties. That combined with a toddler who love to bake meant we decided to play around with a banana and cherry bread. It ended up looking very pretty when sliced, making us both smile 🙂
- 110g/4oz butter
- 110g/4oz sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 175g/6oz roce flour
- 50g/20z polenta or cornmeal
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 75g/3oz sultanas
- 30g/1 oz glace cherries
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Mash the bananas and add to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Fold in the flours, cinnamon and baking powder.
- If using a food processer, empty the mix into a bowl at this point, then stir in the sultanas and cherries.
- Pour into a greased and lined loaf tin and bake at Gas Mark 4 for 1-1.5 hours.
- Test it by using a skewer, when it comes out clean the cake is cooked!
- Remove from the tin and leave to cool.
This cake doesn’t keep for many days, but is lovely toasted with a bit of butter when it’s gotten a bit old. Enjoy.