I’ve been waking up super early…5.30am, for no special reason. It’s one the one hand annoying as I’d like to get a bit more sleep, but I also relish the peace and quiet with the rest of the household still snoozing. So what do you do with a bit or early morning time on your hands? Get inspired by recipes and do some cooking of course!
I had to wait until my toddler woke to make these as I knew she’d love helping – she was super proud of herself for making cakes with carrots in. She grated the carrots (with help), did a lot of mivixing, measured out the sultant, baking powder and cinnamon, then dolloped it into the cases. I recion she will be on Masterchef soon 😉
Here is our recipe – it has some sugar in, but if you wanted to make it sugarfree try adding homemade applesauce (stewed apples pureed down).
- 125g oat flour
- 75g rice flour
- 50 g potato starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 50ml rapeseed oil
- 100ml milk
- 75g sugar
- 2 grated carrots
- 1 large handful of sultanas
- Mix together the flours and potato starch with the baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, then the milk and oil.
- Next add the sugar and grated carrots.
- Finally stir in the sultanas by hand.
- Spoon the muffins into muffin cases and bake at Gas Mark 4 for 16-18 minutes.
Delicious served fresh from the oven, as part of a packed lunch or with custard as a pudding. These will freeze well too.