It’s officially spring/early summer, the birds are singing and the sun is shining. A time to spring clean not only your house but also your body. Now is the time to really get motivated and ready for those summer clothes.
- Be more active everyday. With lighter evenings and better weather get outside. Build a walk into your lunchbreak or after work, gardening is great for toning and calorie burning, dust off that bike, try out an outside bootcamp or a new class. Try and build activity into your usual routine so you do it straight after work or walk to places and find things you enjoy, as you will be more likely to stick to them!
- Blitz your food cupboards. If they are full of unhealthy snacks and treats, give them away and build up a supply of healthier options.
- Spring clean your eating plans. It’s easy to get stuck into a rut eating the same meals each week. Take some time to look at new recipes and think about eating seasonally, right now that includes asparagus, cauliflower, new potatoes, radishes, cabbage, spinach and watercress. Add colour to meals with salads made not just of lettuce and tomato but try sweetcorn, grated carrot, raw broccoli, beetroot and sugar snap peas.
- Get gardening. Not only is it a great form of exercise but growing your own vegetables and herbs will add taste and enjoyment to your meals. You don’t need a large garden, a few pots will do the trick.
- Plan, prepare and portion up healthy snacks on a quiet day or weekend to set you up for the week. Homemade smoothies, oaty bars, nuts and dried fruit, yoghurts or raw veggies and low fat dips are all great options.
- Swap some of those cups of tea and coffee for water, herbal teas or hot water with a slice of lemon to hydrate the body and leave you feeling energised.
Post written for Slimsticks