The Almond Board of California have offered my followers some almond goodies! I have a wonderful Almond Summer Bag to give away.
The Summer Bag contains:
- Almonds, flavoured and roasted.
- A portion controlled tin, perfect for putting your almonds in when on the go.
- Almond Butter
My Nut Story!
I’ll let you into a little secret… until just a few years ago I would have told you that I didn’t like nuts. It appears that I actually do, but I don’t like certain mixed of finely chopped nuts (e.g. on cakes) or hazelnuts, in fact just the thought of hazelnuts makes me feel queasy. Because of that association in my head I labelled nuts as off the menu. There is so much variety in the world of nuts that I hadn’t yet tried though!
Being around other people who ate a different variety of nuts and travelling exposed me to different flavours. Sri-Lanka is the home of amazing devilled cashews, there is a whole road full of just amazing cashew sellers. A trip to Florida opened my mind to pecans. Gradually I’ve got older and bolder! So almonds are also on my top nut list 🙂 Finally I can say I like most nuts, which makes me happy as they are just such a healthy, filling and nutritious snack. Just be wary of your portion control, keep to 1 handful!
- Almonds are a natural source of protein and fibre, containing 15 essential nutrients, including vitamin E and calcium.
- Gram for gram, almonds have the most fibre of any tree nut.
- A handful of almonds (30g) provides you with approximately 65% of your daily requirement of vitamin E.
- A handful of almonds (30g) is a tasty way to keep you feeling full, helping you get through any busy day.
- In a recent study, researchers used a more precise method of measuring the calories in almonds and found they have about 20% fewer calories than originally thought (Novotny JA et al. Discrepancy between the Atwater factor predicted and empirically measured energy values of almonds in human diets. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Am J Clin Nutr 2012 ajcn.035782; First published online July 3, 2012.doi:10.3945/ajcn.112.035782.)