We all love pizza, but there are healthy and covered in pepperoni, dripping in cheese, not so healthy pizza’s. As part of this month Recipe Redux challenge (Healthy Pizza) I decided to experiment using courgette in my pizza base. You may remember the cauliflower pizza base craze? Well here is another variation. Why courgette I hear you cry? I’m always on the lok out for new courgette recipes as we grow loads of them in the garden every summer. Plus this recipe just involved some grating and stirring, a simple, quick way to make a base.
Here is the base before it was cooked for the first time:
And here is the final pizza which was wolfed down by my toddler (who has decided recently she doesn’t like courgettes very much but liked this!). It ends up being more like an omelette than a pizza base consistency but it works well as a lunch or I’d team it with potato wedges for a dinner.
- 2 courgettes
- 80g cheddar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 sliced tomatoes
- 4 sliced mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6, line and grease a baking tray.
- Grate the courgettes into a bowl, then grate and add the cheese.
- Beat the egg into the mixture and use to bind it.
- Spread the mixture out onto the greaseproof paper on the baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
- Add toppings of your choice (you can see mine above) and cook for 20 minutes.
- Great as a lunch dish and a good way to get extra veggies into your meals.