As a teenager I was a vegetarian for a while and one of the foods I loved were some form of Vegetable Grills, they inspire this recipe. That taste and love of vegetaraian food has never left me, if hubby would let me I’d be a vegetarian now but he loves he meat too much and I’m not going to cook 2 meals. So our compromise is to eat meat just a couple of times a week. Mainly because I do the cooking 😉
Even before I had seen this month Recipe Redux theme “A Play on Patties” I had this recipe idea lurking in the back of my head. A soft veggie pattie that is slightly crisp on the outside and oozing in the centre. These little beauties take some time to make but it’s a therapeutic fun task involving lots of squishing which is perfect for getting kids involved in.
I also needed this recipe to work for the whole family as that is how I cook. That now includes the 6 month old baby. His verdict – they were fun to chase around the highchair table and to squish, even more fun to drop bits of on the floor and he did eat a little too 😉
Getting the ingredients ready:
Patties Ready to be baked:
Served Up Ready to Eat:
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 head of broccoli
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 100g cheddar
- 100g cottage cheese or quark
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5.
- Grate all the vegetables or use a food processor.
- Mix in the grated cheddar and other cheese plus the beaten eggs.
- Now comes the fun bit. Grab a handful and squish it firmly together. Some liquid will come out, keep squishing and forming it into a pattie until if holds together.
- Spread some of the cornmeal onto a plate and roll the pattie in it.
- You may need to reshape it and then coat it in cornmeal again.
- Place onto a greased baking tray and bake for 20 minutes.