My Banoffee Pie. It’s become legendary in these parts. It’s not often I make this as it is such an extravagent dessert but once it is made it goes quickly. In fact at some parties people have been known to queue up in advance to ensure they get a slice!
So finally I am sharing my secret recipe. It is so, so simple as long as you do the right preparation.
- 1 x tin of condensed milk (397g)
- 1/2 packet of digestive biscuits (gluten free if needed)
- 100g butter
- 50g honey
- 250ml double cream
- 3 bananas
- Place the tin of condensed milk in a sauce pan and fill the pan with enough water to come 3/4 of the way up the sides of the tin. Bring the water to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and leave to simmer for 1.5 hours, keep checking and topping up the water so it doesn't get too low.
- Meanwhile crush the biscuits and melt the butter and honey. Mix together and then press into the base of a cake tin or dish. Put in the fridge until the topping is ready.
- When the condensed milk has been simmering in the tin for 1.5 hours, leave to cool then carefully open the tin.
- Spread the cooled condensed milk over the biscuit crumb base.
- Now whip the cream and spread that on top.
- Finally top with sliced bananas.
- Chill and serve.