You know those days when your timing goes all wrong? You get caught in traffic, there’s a delay at work, your kids are ill or you are just too darn tired to keep it all running smoothly. When I was little we had an emergency pasta dish made using a tin of condensed soup… I can still remember how it tasted when you were so hungry!
Instead of running to McDonalds (which is a bad word in our house, my toddler thinks the golder arches stand for M= Mummy!) here are my top emergency dinners:
- Beans and cheese on toast with salad on the side.
- Scrambled eggs with chopped mushrooms and sweetcorn cooked in with the eggs. Served on toast.
- Baked potatoes with tuna, sweetcorn and salad.
- Pasta with a quick tomato sauce. Simmer a tin of chopped tomatoes with 1 tbsp tomato puree, mixed herbs, balck pepper, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and 1 tsp sugar. Add frozen or fresh veggies to the pasta as it cooks. A meal in 10 minutes.
- Pesto Pasta. Pesto saves my bacon on a regular basis. We always have a jar in the fridge.
- Frittata. As long as you have eggs you can put any veggies in this and serve with bread and butter or add potatoes/rice to it as it cooks.
- A bought pizza base or homemade frozen pizza dough (roll it out, freeze on a baking tray). Spread with tomato puree, a bit of pesto, a tin of tuna and some frozen veg. Top with a little cheese, cook and hey presto, you have dinner.
- Stir fry – we keep a bag of stir fry mixed veggies in our freezer and can cook with from frozen, add a little soy sauce, honey and peanut butter, pair with noodles and you’ve a tasty dinner.
What are your emergency meals?