You know those times when you have lots of people coming over and not that much time to cook? Well this is a recipe for that occasion. I actually cooked this the day before I had people coming and then I warmed it up in the oven the next day. It is perfect for Christmas and will not only be simple to cook but will make your house smell amazing. I cooked this before teaching Pilates in our home studio and everyone coming to class was sniffing appreciatively!
I must admit to not being a huge gammon fan, in fact I’m not a huge meat fan. So if I eat meat it needs to taste pretty good. This recipe works for me due to all the spices involved.
Not only is is good hot with roasted veggies, but also great cold with salad or for pulled pork.
- Large gammon joint (whatever fits in your slow cooker, mine was 2kg).
- 30 cloves
- 150g brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp cardamon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 litre apple juice
- Score the gammon fat with a sharp knife.
- Press cloves into the fat, spread these all over the top surface.
- Mix the spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cardamon) together and rub over the pork.
- Place it in the slow cooker, fat side facing up and cover the top with the sugar.
- Now drizzle over the maple syrup.
- Pour the apple juice all around it, try not to pour it over or the sugar will come off the top.
- Put on high for 4 hours and then reduce to low for 4-6 hours.
- Use a skewer or meat thermometer to test it is cooked.