Lunches are always the meal I struggle the most with. I’m usually running around, in the middle of juggling clients and children and my brain can have a tendency to lose its creative, inspired food button. I’m sure I can’t be the only one – right? My kids however, they always get a decent lunch. Part of my issue is that I am wheat intolerant and I tend to forget to cater for myself.
At the same time I know that fueling myself with a healthy, nutritious lunch will not only make me feel good but will aid my concentration levels, keep my mood perked up and make me more productive. I have an active lifestyle: between teaching 12 Pilates classes and numerous one to one clients every week and chasing 2 small children I get my activity quota in. So for me a low glycaemic index lunch is important to keep my energy levels sustained. I also get cold easily… so warming lunches make me happier. I get grumpy when cold.
So to help me and to help you here are my top healthy winter lunches:
- Carrot and Lentil Soup. I love the fact this provides a portion of veggies and protein all in one hit. Pair it with a wholegrain roll or some oatcakes and some fruit and you are set for the afternoon.
- Baked potato with baked beans and cottage cheese and salad. Pure comfort food that you still know is healthy. This always fills me up.
- Poached egg on wholegrain toast with salad. If I don’t have any wheat free bread in then I have this with rice cakes and dip them into the egg.
- Smoked mackerel and salad platter. If I’m working through lunch I quite like little bits to nibble on. Mackerel fillets are great as they provide omega 3’s but they don’t take a lot of preparation, I then tend to add oatcakes, a little cheese, some celery sticks with hummus or cream cheese, chopped tomatoes and cucumber and anything else in the fridge 😉
- Hummus with oatcakes, avocado and salad. There is something about making up a fresh batch of hummus ready for your lunch. Amazing.
- Peanut butter and banana on rice cakes. If you haven’t tried it you must. Finish up with a yoghurt and fruit for a full tum.
What are your favourite lunches?