Sssh until last weekend I was a savoury muffin virgin! Why had no-one introduced me to these lovelies before? I made them on a whim. My kids are really not fans of sandwiches, in fact I’m wondering about just doing away with bread altogether in our house (my husband may have something to say about that one). So I’m always on the lookout for new lunch combos. Otherwise my kids will turn into crackers….. well they are already a bit crackers to be honest 😉
This little stunner of a recipe hits a bonus point. It is a great way to get extra vegetables in.
I cooked these up and had to actually stop the small people from eating them all. 4 of them went as a bedtime snack!
On Monday I send them with a packed lunch to a playgroup with my husband and this week EVERYTHING in their packed lunch was eaten. So my new theory is muffins make the world a better place.
- 225g self raising flour
- 100g cream cheese
- 150g fresh spinach or 6 lumps of frozen spinach (I didn't weigh it)
- 1 egg
- grated nutmeg
- 150ml semi skimmed milk
- 60ml oil
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6.
- Measure the flour out.
- Mix in the cream cheese and spinach with the grated nutmeg.
- Now add the egg and the milk with the oil.
- Mix to a lumpy batter.
- Spoon into muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes.