This week Miss K has started school! Oh My Days, how did she get to be so grown up? We’ve spent a couple of weeks getting all the uniform ready and talking through what happens when you go to school, preparing as best we can. She went from extreme excitement, to being anxious, full of tears and needing a lot of cuddles, back to being excited. Thankfully so far the first week has gone well. A few tears but nothing major.
So now with quieter house and the “crackers and cheese” girl out for lunch I’ve started to focus more on making our lunches more exciting and more delicious. I’m also on a move to make the hubster eat healthily. Wish me luck 😉
I pretty much love quinoa. It’s wheat free, it’s got a great texture and it is high protein which makes it filling. So this lunch is a perfect one if you have a busy afternoon and need fuel to keep you going. Both hubby and I had lunch and literally sat there saying “Wow that was delicious and filling”. I ate it before teaching my many Pilates classes and was full until teatime (which is a small miracle).
I cooked the quinoa at breakfast time whilst we ate our cereal and left it with the lid on until after the school run. It was then a doddle to chop up all the veggies, mix in and leave in the fridge until lunch.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 avocado peeled and chopped
- 2 beetroot chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 inch cucumber chopped
- 1 tin tuna
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 juiced lemon
- salad leaves
- Cook the quinoa in the water, simmer for 10 minutes and then leave to steam and cool with the lid on the pan.
- Chop the veggies up and mix into the cooled quinoa.
- Flake and add in the tuna.
- Mix the lemon juice and olive oil together and pour over the quinoa salad.
- Toss gently and serve on a bed of salad leaves.