Carbonara is one of those meals that my husband adores, but being full of cream, (which I don’t like and it doesn’t like me), I never make it. Then I felt inspired. Somehow in the midst of sleep deprivation these idea pop into my head. It was a pile of spirallised courgettes and carrots that gave me the idea. I had prepared them ready for a stir fry but they started talking noodles to me, which led to carbonara. It may have been due to eating out and reading a pasta/pizza style menu the night before 😉
With a well stocked kitchen this was a literal doddle to make. It took 10 minutes from start to finish as I had the veggies prepped already. One of those meals you can prep ahead and then cook in a flash. Even better I had a little toddler helper who really enjoyed all the beating of the eggs, the stirring and big bonus, he ended up eating a fair bit of carrot as we cooked.
I used rice noodles because I fancied them and they are so quick to cook! You could of course use spaghetti. I didn’t add the parsley to this batch but it would make a great addition, as would bacon!
- 1 large courgette
- 2 large carrots
- 60g mushrooms
- 100g green beans (I used purple ones)
- 150g Rice noodles
- The sauce
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 50g parmesan
- plenty of black pepper
- bunch of fresh parsley
- Spiralise the courgette and carrots.
- Chop the mushrooms and beans.
- Cook the noodles, in the last 3 minutes of cooking add the veggies.
- Whilst it cooks, whilst the eggs, add in the yoghurt and cream cheese.
- Drain and turn the cooker off.
- Quickly add the sauce to the pasta and stir in, the eggs will cook in the residual heat. Stir for a few minutes.
- Add plenty of pepper, the parmesan and the parsley.
- Serve with parmesan if wanted!