Some very kind friends had Miss K to play the other day. When she came back one of the main things she was full of was food and descriptions of food. I’ve created a foodie! One of her descriptions reminded me of how I’ve not made savoury scones for so, so long and how quick, tasty and versatile they are. A good way to add some extra veggies into your day.
After having friends round for cheese and wine we had plenty of cheese in the fridge, never usually a problem for us, I have a house of cheese monsters. I chose the cheese that was being eaten the slowest… in these scones it was wolfed down.
It took me 30 minutes to make and bake both a normal and a wheat free/gluten free batch of these, whilst dancing around the baby and prepping the rest of the meal. If you are just making 1 batch and don’t have to juggle a small child I reckon you could bang these out in 20 minutes. They are absolutely amazing eaten fresh from the oven.
- 200g gluten free plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g margarine
- 50g grated stilton with apricots
- 50g broccoli finely chopped
- 50-100ml milk
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4.
- Mix the flour and baking powder together. Now rub in the butter with your fingers.
- Add the stilton and broccoli and mix.
- Now add the milk a little at a time and mix to a dough. As soon as you have a dough coming together stop adding the milk.
- Tip out onto a floured surface and knead a little.
- Sprinkle with flour and either roll out or use your hands to stretch the dough out to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Using medium sized cutters cut out and place onto a greased, floured baking tray.
- Bake at Gask Mark 4 for 8-10 minutes.
- I used Doves Farm Plain Flour and this recipe made 6 scones.