Chocolate Brownies, what’s not to love? I actually can’t eat rich foods, so these babies hit the spot for me on more than one level. They are healthier as I’ve cut down the butter and chocolate, they have lower in sugar, gluten/wheat free and they contain beetroot plus prunes.
Today was one of those days when I was in need of a pick me up. Tired after a busy week, 32 weeks pregnant with an active toddler to amuse and a husbnad at work. So I did what I do when I’m tired…. I got busy in the kitchen. I fancied chocolate and we had some leftover beetroot in the fridge, it reminded me of a chocolate and beetroot cake someone had made once, so after a quick peek at Pinterest I set about adapting my Chocolate and prune Brownie recipe.
The end result – AMAZING. These came out a whole heap better than I had expected. I tested them on the hubby who pulled a bit of a face until he bit into one, then gave it a 9/10. It’s taken a fair amount of will power for us not to eat all of them in one evening 😉
- 50g butter
- 75g dark chocolate
- 100g rice flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g prune puree
- 175g beetroot
- 2 eggs
- Weigh out the butter and chocolate, then melt either in the microwave or over a pan of boiling water.
- Weigh out 75g prunes, add 50ml water and pulse to make a puree in a food processor. Then remove and set aside.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder together.
- Add in the melted butter and chocolate.
- Next mix in the prune puree along with the chopped beetroot.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Place into a greased baking tray and level off the top.
- Bake at Gas Mark 4 for 30 minutes.