The weather has turned distinctly chilly, so we’ve turned to soups for our lunches. I love soups as they really are easy to make, they can be an easy way to get vegetables and great nurtitious food into the family and they heat up the insides. This soup was a bit of an experiment, it has a different edge to it with the cinnamon, cumin and lemon. It really does work and makes a fresh, tingly on the tastebuds soup.
To make this a complete lunch we ate ours wih rice cakes and finished with a yoghurt.
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 chopped chilli
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 150g dried apricots chopped
- zest 1 lemon
- juice 1/2 lemon or 4 tbsp
- 4 carrots
- 150ml stock
- 200g greens (spinach, kale or Swiss chard)
- Gently cook the onion, then add the garlic, cinnamon, cumin, chilli and tomato puree. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chopped apricpts, lemon zest and lemon juice, stir.
- Now add the carrots, greens and stock.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, then blend.