This week we went Vegetarian for National Vegetarian Week. As a family we always have at least 3 meat free meals a week, so this was a good chance to unleash some new recipe ideas. To be honest I don’t think the family really noticed the lack of meat, though they would do if carried this on for a few weeks. I love vegetarian meals and would probably be one if I wasn’t cooking for the whole family. Eating more plant based meals is better for the environment, a more sustainable way of eating and has some fabulous health benefits too.
Our week of vegetarian meals:
Vegetarian Moussaka, Leek and Stilton Risotto, Courgette and Lentil Lasagne, Vegetable egg Stir fry rice, Quorn Bolognaise and Roasted Veggie Pasta.
The moussaka is something I’d seen a variation on in a gluten free recipe book that I’ve had hanging around for ages. I used soya milk to make it lactose free for my boy – omit the cheese to make it dairy free. A few adaptations made this a super simple meal that is going to stay on our meal list.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 150g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 cups of uncooked rice
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 400ml soya milk
- 40g grated cheese
- Slice the aubergine, onion and garlic.
- Saute onion and garlic in the olive oil on a medium heat.
- Add 2 tbsp white wine and the mushrooms, cook for a few minutes to soften.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, puree, chives, paprika and rice.
- Stir and simmer for 10 minutes whilst you make the sauce.
- Heat the oil, add cornflour and turn the heat low.
- Add 1/3 soya milk and stir well, add the rest of the milk and increase the heat to medium, carry on stirring as the sauce thickens.
- Layer the rice mix with the aubergine, then the rice and the aubergine.
- Top with the sauce and sprinkle the cheese.
- Cook in the oven at Gas Mark 5 for 30 minutes.