So what do you do when you’ve been building up all day to a vegetable lasagne and then you realise you are out of wheat free lasagne sheets?
1. Make something else?
2. Make your own lasagne?
3. Use potato instead?
Today I was feeling a bit more inventive, plus I had a tonne of potatoes to use up… so option 3 it was.
This worked really well, it took longer to cook as I wanted the potatoes to definitely be on the softer side, but you could parboil them to help speed up the cooking time. My cottage cheese white sauce is a big hit.Healthier, quicker to make and lighter on the stomach and palate too, it takes lasagne from a “weekend meal” to an “everyday meal”. My family are happy.
Someone suggested this was more of a moussaka, I’m not sure. I’m going with lasagne as that is what I based it on. Call it what you like. It’s delicious.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 2 peppers
- 2 courgettes
- 1 carrot
- Mixed dried herbs
- Black pepper
- Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- Small glass of red wine
- 1 large aubergine
- 4 medium potatoes
- 150g cottage cheese
- 150g greek yoghurt
- 80g grated cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Chop the onion and crush the garlic, then saute in the pan.
- Now add the peppers, carrot and courgettes, cook for a couple of minutes before adding the chopped tomatoes and wine.
- Bring to a simmer and add the pepper, balsamic, herbs and sugar. All to simmer gently whilst you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Slice the aubergine and potatoes lengthways into thin slices.
- You could now parboil the potatoes to speed up the cooking time in the oven.
- Mix the cottage cheese with the yoghurt to get a thinner consistency.
- Now comes the fun…. in an overproof dish layer up the lasagne. Start with the tomato and vegetables base, top with aubergine slices, then potato and the white sauce. Repeat the layers one more time, ending with the white sauce on the top.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake in the oven as Gas Mark 5 for 45-60 minutes.
- Test the potatoes are cooked by prodding with a skewer.